Friday, February 24, 2012

Phone or Email?

Living in this modern age, I have multiple modes of communication available. And for most of my friends, email is the mode of communication that I use most frequently. And being accustomed to using email for so long has reduced my phone usage a lot. I don't talk to my old friends on phone. There are many reasons/excuses behind not talking on the phone. For one, it's hard to synchronize timings when you are living in different timezones. Even if timezones are same, phone-talk requires that both of you should be free at the same time, which may not always be the case. And perhaps making a phone call requires more effort on your part than sending an email. But, the mode of communication, indeed, has an effect on the closeness of your relationship. In decreasing order of effectiveness of the relationship, you can categorize the communication modes:
Face-to-face conversation > Phone-talk > IM-chat > Email > Facebook.
Comparing phone with email, talking on phone indeed gives me a sense of closeness that is missing in the email. I may want to start using my phone more than my email.

No comments: